Notes from the Membership meeting of Friday, October 17, 2008:
- Shit List: Eric Galvin, Dan Halverson, Westin Porzelt, Dan Murphy, Bill Yates, Dan McGuire.
- Membership Plaque: Brother Rieker got a clarification of a few names and is putting the finishing touches on it.
- TV Service Committee Report: Still nothing has been done. We determined that we want a minimum of three receivers (possibly 4) and we’ll most likely go with Direct TV. We MAY NEED to turn off our service for 30 days in order to get the best deal as a NEW CUSTOMER. Glen and Gary promised (again) to get it done.
- Poker Tournament: November 29th is the date for the Texas Holdem Tournament. Start time is 7 pm sharp. We’ll also do regular poker in the pool house.
- Trivia Night: Date has been confirmed for Saturday, January 31st at St. Norbert’s in Florissant. That is the night before the Super Bowl. We’re going to also use their kitchen to cook the shrimp for the Super Bowl.
- Glutton Thoroughbred Mouse Races: We set the date of February 28th for the next Glutton Mouse Races. Mark your calendars.
- Christmas Party December 20th: The party will be held at the Club. Dinner served at 7 pm with some sort of program at 8:00.
- Karaoke Night at the Bistro: Gary Spearman is once again having a Karaoke Night at the Bistro on Saturday, November 15th. A good time was had by all who attended last year. Location: South 94 Bistro in St. Charles (94 outer road and Jung Station) in the St. Charlestowne Plaza.
- Deck Expansion: Work is progressing on the deck renovation. We’re primarily working weekends on the project. The septic tank was pumped out ($275) and a new, lower (under the deck surface) cleanout pipe was installed in it. Most of the new deck substructure is in place and decking could be started soon. The base of the retaining wall is being installed. We’re going to try to get the bathroom in the pool house operational before the Christmas Party. The drain work is all complete, we just need to get the water connected and fixtures installed.
- Bits & Pieces: The bathroom door (by the living room) is in need of some repair. Glen said he’d look into it. The bathroom itself has been approved for remodel, but it’s on the back burner because of the deck work. … We now have two trash companies at least for a while. Might change later. … The ref chairs are in for a sealing soon by Larry the Painter Guy. … The storage container in the back yard is leaking and in need of some repair. Glen and Rick will look into the best solution. … Jim Woodside has donated 21 really nice chairs to the Club. We’re trying to decide if we have the room to store them or if we want to get rid of them. …. The membership voted to get a new telephone with an answering machine, so we can leave messages on it for the members – things like when the next workday is or info about an upcoming meeting or event. … Money changer on the beer machine is not working. We’re looking into the problem.
The next membership meeting will be this Friday night, October 17th starting at 7:17 sharp. Be there!
Note: The Gas is in the mail and it says the meeting is Friday, October 18th…just like this did, until I fixed it.
So remember, the meeting is Friday night, not Saturday.
Thanks to those who pointed that out for me.
A small but dedicated crew worked on the project Sunday.
First block laid.
Laying the foundation row of blocks takes the most time. They have to be perfectly level and in line.
Notes from the Board meeting of Wednesday, October 1, 2008:
- Shit List: Eric Galvin, Dan Halverson, Dave Heacock, Weston Porzelt, Gary Spearman and Bill Yates.
- Golf Tournament: 39 players played. Club made $185
- TV committee: Nothing done yet another month.
- Football Raffle: Three weeks down and a dozen or so to go. All tickets have been distributed. Winners listed in right sidebar.
- Deck Expansion: Old deck was removed. Concrete slabs removed and some grading done. Some plumbing work has been done. The plan is to work on Sunday’s until it gets too cold. Other days (and evenings) will be scheduled also. Members are encouraged to come over and help out.
- Membership Plaque: Joe Rieker has printed a new plaque. He just needs to get it framed and mounted.
- Trivia Night: We’re trying to get the night before Super Bowl, which will be Saturday, January 31st, since the Super Bowl will be on February 1st. Our secondary pick is the Saturday before that.
- Mouse Races: We’re going to wait until we secure the date for the Trivia Night, before we finalize the date for the Mouse Races.
- Christmas Party: It will be held at the Club on Saturday, December 20th. Mark your calendars.
- Poker Tournament: November 29th is the date. Yes, that’s Toilet Bowl Saturday, the weekend after Thanksgiving. We’ve decided to forgo the paintball massacre this year.
- Bit & Pieces:
- Bathroom still needs to be redone.
- Living room is in need of a make-over.
- We need to find a better place for the freezer than the rec room.
- Kevin has said that he won’t be the Social Coordinator next year.
- Jonco would like to turn over the Glutton Gas to a new editor.
- Larry is going to clear-coat the ref chairs and updated picnic table.
- Septic tank has been pumped out.
- Thanks to Michaelia Green for catering the Deck Expansion Kickoff. Excellent!
- If you’re at the Club, fill up an ice bag or two and toss them into the freezer.
- Reservation fee of $50 begins January, 1, 2009.
- Alk says we need a new amplifier as ours is on it’s last leg.
- UPS is donating $250 to the GMVB effort for the Children’s Home.
- Operating Rules still need to be revised.
- New Reservations
- Oct 25 – Rick Walton
We’re sad to pass on word that Dan Sucich’s mother passed away last week in Florida after a long illness.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Dan and his family.
The deck expansion got underway big-time on Sunday. We had great weather and a dozen or so guys helped out. We got all the railing down, the deck boards taken up, and the deck framing removed where it needed to be removed. I think we got more done than we expected. Murph has marked the grounds for the excavating. Food was provided my Michaelia Green. Yum!
Here’s a time-lapse video of the start of the project.
Below are more pictures from the day. Click on them to enlarge them.
Nest up: We’re going to get the concrete slabs removed and then some grading of the area before we dig the trenches for the new wall.
Come on over and help out!
Dan McGuire sends word that Gary Schirmer’s mother passed away on Tuesday, September 16, 2008. Here is the obituary:
Florence “Mimi” Schirmer
Schirmer, Florence ‘Mimi’ Fortified with the Sacraments of Holy Mother Church on Tues., Sept. 16, 2008. Beloved wife of the late Elmer W. Schirmer; loving mother of Wayne E. (Jeanette), Gary (Stacy) Schirmer and Sue (Craig) Sullivan; proud grandmother of Kelley, Scott, Angela, Erin, Ryan and Kevin; dearest great-grandmother of Grace, Drew, Lucas, Ella, Jakob and Owen; dear sister of the late Col. Edward (Mary) Kaminski; dear aunt, great-aunt and friend. Memorials to Immaculate Conception Catholic Church or Community Loving Care Hospice encouraged.Services: The Stygar Family of Funeral Service is caring for Florence’s Family. Family will receive friends at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 7717 Hwy N. (Dardenne Prairie) on Sat., Sept. 20 from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. concluding with a Celebration of Mass at 11a.m. PLEASE MEET AT CHURCH. Interment Bethlehem Cemetery. A STYGAR MID RIVERS Funeral Home Service.
Gary & Stacy Schirmer
2037 Waters Edge Ct.
Lake St. Louis, MO 63367
Starting early Sunday morning, the deck area will become a construction site as we begin the largest project yet at the Club. The first step will be to clear off the deck of all the canopies and deck furniture. Then we’ll begin dismantling the deck itself. The project will continue through the fall and winter months (weather permitting) and into the spring.
We’re asking the members to make themselves available to help with this project. Even if you lack construction knowledge we need your help. Be there on Sunday as we begin.
This is a general plan. Some of the details have changed and will most likely change more as we continue the project. (Click to enlarge). For more information see the Deck Expansion Page.
The 9th annual Glutton Golf Tournament will take place this Saturday, September 20th, at Belk Park in Wood River IL. The tournament starts at 8 am. Awards, BBQ and drinks following the tourney at the Club. Contact Glen (314–574–7087) for last minute info. More info here.
The results for the football Raffle are located on the right sidebar under the “Glutton Links” section.
High (tied) winners will receive a minimum of $50. All low ties will receive $20.
Dan McGuire passed on the info that non-resident Glutton Tom Tazarek’s mother passed away last Thursday. Tom lives in Prosper Texas and visits the club from time to time. Our sympathies to Taz and his family.
Alice M. (Garrigan) Taszarek
Taszarek, Alice M. (nee Garrigan) Fortified with the Sacraments of Holy Mother Church, Thursday, September 4, 2008. Beloved wife of the late Joseph F. Taszarek; dear mother and mother-in-law of James F. (Sharon) Taszarek, Thomas A. (Susan) Taszarek, and Jane (Michael) Welby; dear grandmother of Mary Carol (Jon) Lienemann, James (Lorie) Taszarek, Alice (Scott) Rodrian, Marc (Amy) Welby, Annie (Warren) Young, and Mary Alice Taszarek; dear great-grandmother of Ben, Claire, and Julia Rodrian, Michael and Elizabeth Taszarek, Katie, Joseph and Fritz Lienemann and Garrett Michael Welby to be born on 9/8/2008; dear sister, sister-in-law, aunt, great-aunt, cousin and special friend of Hazel Knickel, Kae and Ron Roach.Services: Funeral procession Saturday, September 6, 8:15 a.m. at HUTCHENS Mortuary, 675 Graham Rd., Florissant to St. Sabina Catholic Church for 9 a.m. Mass. Interment Sacred Heart Cemetery. Visitation Friday, September 5, 4-8 p.m. In of flowers, memorials to National Multiple Sclerosis Society appreciated.
Notes from the Board meeting of Wednesday, September 3, 2008:
Shit List: Eric Galvin, Dan Halverson, Dave Heacock, Dan Murphy, Bill Yates.
GMVB 08: We raised $2154 for the Evangelical Children’s Home. All the final bills aren’t in yet, but Byrd estimates that we will end up with about $5200 for the Club. Thanks to all who worked and participated in one way or another. Next year will be the 25th GMVB tournament. We need to do something special for the 25th.
Golf Tournament: Saturday, September 20th. Starts at 8 am at Belk Park. We are in need of attendance prizes for the tournament. Let Glen know if you can come up with something. More info here.
Football Raffle: Almost all the tickets have been sold. There might be a few still out that haven’t been sold. Important: If you have sold tickets that have not been turned in, you need to get them to Don S. or Gary R. ASAP. More info here.
TV committee: Nothing done yet another month. Ho-Hum
Pool committee: The pool came back from GMVB in about 3 days. It was crystal clear. It was noted that the bottom drain is clogged again. It was also noted that the Tiger Shark vacuum system worked like a charm all year.
Deck Expansion: The deck expansion will get underway in a big way on Sunday, September 21st. That’s the day after the golf tournament. A special deck expansion meeting will be next Wednesday, September 10th at 5 pm.
Tree trimming: Our neighbor Tom dropped five trees for us at a cost of $200.
Recycling: Mike Green turned in another $73 in aluminum last month. Keep up the good work.
Mizzou Tailgate: Mike green is going to do a Mizzou Tailgate in Columbia on Saturday, September 23rd. If you’re interested in going contact Mike.
October Membership meeting: The date has been set: Friday, October 17th starting at 7:17 pm. Be there.
Soda Machine narrowly escapes demise: A raucous discussion erupted over the beer machine not having beer in it. Several drunkards insisted that we empty the soda machine out and put beer in it too. Someone finally pointed out that the problem was that the beer machine was not being filled often enough and that we probably don’t need 40 flavors of beer.
Stereo amplifier: Alk noted that the Kenwood amp we have is going out. He’s going to come up with some ideas about replacing it and present at the next meeting.
Membership plaque redo: Joe Rieker IS working on it.
By-Laws: The Board postponed discussion on the revised By-Laws until the next Board Meeting.
Dave Heacock Sat., Sep 27
Mike Cooper Sat. Oct 11
Rick Walton Sat., Oct 25
Schoendienst Sat., Dec 6
Glen Morris Sat., Dec 13
See the complete list in the sidebar on the left.
New member prospect: Al Karniski is sponsoring Andy Norton of Ferguson. Andy was at the meeting and seems like a nice guy. Let’s not forget our other two new member prospects: Jim Doyle and John Lee. Welcome guys!
Glutton Mud Volleyball 2008 was a huge success, buy any standards. Final numbers aren’t in yet, but we made over $2100 from the Silent Auction, and all indications, (attendance, weather, etc.) indicate that this could be a record year. Stay tuned.
Michaelia Green dropped by the Club after the Board meeting and sincerely expressed her appreciation for the plant that the Club sent for he father’s funeral. She said it meant so much to her. She was really sweet about it. So, thank you all.
Notes from the Board meeting of Wednesday, August 6, 2008:
- The pool has been found both unlocked and very messy lately and this needs to stop.
- Doors unlocked: On several occasions over the last few weeks members have found that the doors are being left unlocked and the gates open. If you’re the last person leaving YOU MUST check and make sure the doors are ALL locked.
- Clean up after yourself: If you’re enjoying the club facilities, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do the rest of the Club the courtesy of cleaning up the mess you made and put your trash away. If we all left the Club as we found it, there would be no problem. If you have a reservation, YOU are responsible for seeing that the trash is put away properly and ALSO that it gets to the street on trash pick-up day.
- Alarm not set: On a couple occasions members have found that the alarm was not set when they arrived at the Club. We must ALL remember to set the alarm when we leave the Club.
- Shit List: Joe Furlong, Dan Halverson, Kevin McCauley, Gary Spearman, and Bill Yates
- Wrist bands for workers only at a cost of $15 if you’re drinking alcohol, $10 for non alcohol adults and $5 for kids working.
- We’re going to strive to keep muddy people out of the pool and the pool area.
- We’re going to close the pool when we can no longer see the bottom.
- Board voted to purchase an alcohol liability insurance policy to cover us in the event of a tragedy at a cost of about $640. Next year we’ll raise the price of entry to cover this additional expense.
- Football Raffle: With the football season just a few weeks away, we need to really push the raffle tickets in the next week or so. If you need tickets contact Gary Rowberry or Don Schoendienst. If you have sold tickets please get them back to Gary, don or our treasurer Mike Mathews. If you have no idea what this is about click here.
- Golf Tournament: September 20th at Belk Park. We needs attendance prizes for the Golf Tournament. If you run across anything please let Glen know. If you want to play, let Glen know too.
- TV Service: A committee of Gary Rowberry, Glen Morris and Luis Martinez was formed to bring us the best deal in new service so we can have four televisions controlled separately, with HD where applicable.
- Trees: Tree trimming has not been done yet. Board feels that it’d be best not to drop them before MVB. But, the work should be done soon.
- Membership plaque: Joe Rieker has volunteered to update the membership plaque.
- Beer at meetings: In an effort to facilitate better meetings, a motion to keep the beer machine locked DURING Board meetings but open afterwards was narrowly defeated by the board.
Update: We’ve learned that we got the alcohol liability insurance for $368 instead of $640.
We just got our last team, number 42. As of now we’re stopping there. The forecast if for the mid 80’s which is just perfect, but we all know that can change.
The courts have been tilled and we’ll begin watering Wednesday or Thursday. New ref chairs have been constructed.
Silent Auction items are starting to come in, but we definitely need more.
Contact Deb Heacock (314–355–7421), Jon Heacock 636–475–7565), or Connie Karniski (314–355–2936) if you have any items.
As of this afternoon, we have 29 teams paid. The early-bird discount ends tomorrow, August 1st.
We really need items for the Silent Auction. If you have anything, let Jonco, Deb Heacock or Connie Karniski know all about it. We’re also in need of items that we can sell (food and drink stuff mainly, but we’ll take anything). If you can let us know what you can get before next weekend it’ll help in our buying plans.
There is a special GMVB meeting this coming Wednesday, August 6th, at 5:30 pm. If you can make it to the Club, it would be great. The meeting will precede the regularly scheduled Board meeting at 7:06 pm.
Also, the tilling of the courts will be Friday August 1st instead of Saturday.